8 to 12 inches of snow measured in the New Haven area

HAMDEN — New Haven and surrounding communities had received about 8 inches or more of snow late Saturday afternoon, with the storm expected to subside in the evening.

Most municipalities reported no major problems with power outages or motor vehicle collisions, although authorities warned residents to stay off the roads so crews could complete the cleanup.

A winter storm warning was in effect throughout the day as the National Weather Service warned residents that winds of 45 miles per hour were possible.

Although Friday’s forecast indicated that a snowfall accumulation of 1 to 2 feet was possible, forecast snowfall decreased overnight. On Saturday night, officials estimated final totals would be closer to 10 to 12 inches.

“The City of New Haven has received approximately 9 inches of snow and the current forecast calls for another 1 to 3 inches over the next two hours, with snow ending after 5 p.m.,” Mayor Justin Elicker told residents in an e-mail. -mail. “Our Parks and Public Works teams worked hard all day to keep the roads clear. This work will continue for many hours after the snow has stopped falling.

The parking ban would likely remain in place through Sunday, Elicker said, adding the city would post updates as they become available.

Following earlier forecasts, Avelo Airlines canceled 15 weekend flights arriving and departing from Tweed-New Haven Airport “in anticipation of heavy snowfall,” according to a statement.

“Customers who have booked to travel with us to or from HVN on Friday January 28; Saturday January 29; or Sunday, January 30 are eligible to change their flights with no airfare difference,” the statement read.

Fog and light snowfall was recorded in Tweed at 6:53 a.m. Saturday, according to the NWS forecast.

By late morning, officials in New Haven and nearby towns reported about six inches of snow had fallen, though gusty winds made it difficult to gauge the accumulation.

New Haven Emergency Operations Manager Rick Fontana reported a four-vehicle collision that he says occurred in poor road conditions on the Wilbur Cross Parkway. It caused one person to be seriously injured, he said.

Otherwise, the city got through the day relatively unscathed, according to Fontana.

Fifty trucks worked to clear New Haven’s roads, he said. Crews were working 12-hour shifts, he said, with the first shift running from around midnight Friday to noon Saturday.

“People are listening, people are staying off the roads, which is a key part of getting snow cleared from the roads,” Fontana said.

Tom McCarthy, West Haven Public Works Commissioner, also stressed the importance of avoiding travel.

“We have no reports of downed trees,” he said. “Our biggest issue right now is people wanting to get out and live their lives when we still need time to weather this storm.”

Public works crews have 24 hours after a storm ends to complete cleanup, according to McCarthy.

“We’re almost begging people to give us that response time,” he said.

With a parking ban in effect through Sunday, the city was towing cars, McCarthy said.

Although winds and snowdrifts made it difficult to measure snow accumulation, “we’re certain it’s between 10 and 12 inches,” McCarthy said.

Meanwhile, East Haven had received eight to nine inches by 4 p.m., according to Charles Coyle, the utility department’s superintendent of operations.

While he expected the snow to stop in the evening, further accumulation was possible, he said. Coyle did not report any major issues associated with the storm.

Late Saturday morning, Coyle had reported heavy snowfall.

“The wind is going to be a factor all day today,” he said. “But we try to follow the roads.”

In South Hamden, snowfall was light early in the morning, although loud winds pounded trees and kicked up snow.

The storm began to rise as the sun rose. The occasional plow rolled along Whitney Avenue, which at 7 a.m. was clear enough to accommodate an occasional car.

Road conditions deteriorated throughout the morning.

“It’s definitely going down. There’s a lot of wind and drift,” Mayor Lauren Garrett, who lives in North Hamden, said at 10 a.m. “My road is completely covered – and an inland road – but there are places where you can see the sidewalk…and then there are other places where it looks like it snowed a foot.

The winds were strong enough to overturn the heavy trash cans outside her home, she said.

Road conditions improved in the early evening, but Garrett advised residents to continue to avoid travel where possible.

“The roads – I think they’re better than some other cities…but you still don’t want to be out there until the public works crews are able to clean them up a bit better,” he said. she declared.

She had recently spoken to public works supervisors who were “really happy that there aren’t a lot of cars on the roads right now”.

“Everything is going great,” Garrett said of the storm response.

In North Haven, officials estimated the city had received six inches of snow as of 10 a.m. and between 10 and 12 inches by 3:30 p.m., according to first coach Michael Freda.

“This storm is a bit difficult to measure,” he said. “We might see two inches in one street, eight inches in another because of the swirling winds.”

Residents “(appeared) to stay home” and abide by the parking ban on Saturday morning, Freda said.

“We have had no major accident reports. Our plow drivers are there and have been all afternoon and will be all evening,” he said later that day. “Our goal is for our plow operators to continue plowing even after the snowfall has stopped. Our goal is to ensure that by tomorrow morning the roads are safe for our residents wishing to travel on Sundays. »

This story has been updated with the correct location of the crash and to reflect the most recent weather conditions.

About admin

Check Also

Olympia will receive approximately $400,000 from the housing fund

By Lorilyn C. Lirio The city of Olympia expects to receive approximately $400,000 from the …