1. National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine. The safety and quality of abortion care in the United States. 2018 (https://nap.nationalacademies.org/catalog/24950/the-safety-and-quality-of-abortion-care-in-the-united-states).
2. Major B, Appelbaum M, Beckman L., Dutton MA, Russia NF, West C. Report of the Task Force on Mental Health and Abortion. American Psychological Association, 2008 (https://www.apa.org/pi/women/programs/abortion/mental-health.pdf).
3. Biggs MA, Upadhyay UD, McCulloch CE, DG Foster. Mental health and well-being of women 5 years after receiving or being denied an abortion: a prospective longitudinal cohort study. JAMA Psychiatry 2017;74:169–178.
4. Harris LF, Roberts SC, Biggs MA, Roca CH, DG Foster. Perceived stress and emotional social support among women who are denied or receive an abortion in the United States: a prospective cohort study. BMC Women’s Health 2014;14:76–87.
5. Biggs MA, Gould H, DG Foster. Understand why women seek abortions in the United States. BMC Women’s Health 2013;13:29–29.
6. Biggs MA, Gould H, Barar RE, DG Foster. Five-year trajectories of suicidal ideation among women receiving or being refused an abortion. Am J Psychiatry 2018;175:845–852.
seven. Roberts SCM, Berglas NF, Kimport K. Complex situations: economic insecurity, mental health and substance abuse among pregnant women who consider — but do not have — an abortion. PLoS One 2020;15(1):e0226004–e0226004.
8. Biggs MA, Brown K, DG Foster. Perception of abortion stigma and psychological well-being five years after receiving or being denied an abortion. PLoS One 2020;15(1):e0226417–e0226417.
9. Wedge RS. Dismantling structural racism in psychiatry: a pathway to equity in mental health. Am J Psychiatry 2021;178:592–598.
ten. van Ditzhuijzen J, ten have M, by Graaf R., van Nijnatten CHCJ, Vollebergh WAM. Psychiatric history of women who have had an abortion. J Psychiatr Res 2013;47:1737–1743.
11. Steinberg JR, Tschann JM, Furgerson D, Harper CC. Psychosocial factors and psychological health before abortion: the importance of stigma. Soc Sci-Med 2016;150:67–75.
12. Mosesson H, Fix L, Ragosta S, et al. Abortion experiences and preferences of transgender, non-binary, and gender-wide people in the United States. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021;224(4):376.e1–376.e11.
13. Leight KL, Fitelson EM, Weston CA, Wisner KL. Childbirth and mental disorders. Int Rev Psychiatry 2010;22:453–471.
14. Vigera AC, Cohen L.S., Bouffard S, Whitfield TH, Baldessarini RJ. Reproductive decisions of women with bipolar disorder after psychiatric consultation before pregnancy. Am J Psychiatry 2002;159:2102–2104.
15. Munk-Olsen T, Laursen MC, Pedersen CB, Lidegaard O, Mortensen PB. First-trimester induced abortion and risk of psychiatric hospital readmission in women with a history of treated mental disorders. Arch Gen Psychiatry 2012;69:159–165.
16. Cameron S. Induced abortion and psychological sequelae. Best Practice Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2010;24:657–665.
17. Phelan JC, BG link. Is racism a fundamental cause of health inequalities? Annu Rev Social 2015;41:311–330.
18. Crear-Perry J, Correa-de-Araujo R, Lewis Johnson T., McLemore MR, Neilson E, Wallace M. Social and structural determinants of health inequalities in maternal health. J Women’s Health (Larchmt) 2021;30 :230–235.
19. Jerman J, Jones RK, Wave T. Characteristics of abortion patients in the United States in 2014 and evolution since 2008. Guttmacher Institute, May 2016 (https://www.guttmacher.org/report/characteristics-us-abortion-patients-2014).
21. Sküster P, Khanal RC, Nyamato E. Relics of Imperialism: US Foreign Policy on Abortion in the Age of COVID. Sex Reproduction Health Matters 2020;28:1824319–1824319.
22. Jackson FM, Phillips MT, Hogue CJR, Curry-Owens TY. Examining the Burdens of Gender-Based Racism: Implications for Pregnancy Outcomes in African-American College-Educated Women. Maternal and child health J 2001;5:95–107.
23. Angelotta C., Appelbaum PS. Criminal charges for harm caused to a child by substance use during pregnancy. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law 2017;45:193–203.
24. Raymond EG, Grimes DA. The comparative safety of legal induced abortion and childbirth in the United States. Obstet Gynecol 2012;119:215–219.
25. Addant AN, Eisenberg DL, Valentine MC, Leonard J., Maddox KEJ, Hoofnagle MH. The association between state-level abortion restrictions and maternal mortality in the United States, 1995-2017. Contraception 2021;104:496–501.
26. MacDorman MF, Thomas M., Declcerq E, Howell EA. Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Maternal Mortality in the United States Using Improved Vital Records, 2016-2017. Am J Public Health 2021;111:1673–1681.
27. Krieger N., Van Wye G, Huynh M, et al. Structural racism, historical redlining, and risk of preterm birth in New York City, 2013-2017. Am J Public Health 2020;110:1046–1053.
28. Liu SY, Fiorentini C, Bailey Z, Huynh M, Mc Veigh K, Kaplan D. Structural racism and severe maternal morbidity in New York State. Clin Med Insights Women’s Health 2019;12:1179562X19854778–1179562X19854778.
29. Comic rooms, Erausquin JT, AE Tanner, Nichols TR, Brown-Jeffy S. To test the association between traditional and new indicators of structural racism at the county level and birth outcomes among black and white women. J Ethnic-Racial Disparities in Health 2018;5:966–977.
30. Mangla K, Hoffmann MC, Trompff C, O’Grady S, Monk C. Maternal deaths from self-harm: an unrecognized and preventable outcome. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2019;221:295–303.
31. Wallace M, Gillispie Bell V, Cruz K., Davis K., Vilda D.. Homicide during pregnancy and the postpartum period in the United States, 2018-2019. Obstet Gynecol 2021;138:762–769.
32. Admon LK, Winkelman’s TNA, Zivin K, Terplan M, Myre JM, Dalton V.K.. Racial and ethnic disparities in the incidence of severe maternal morbidity in the United States, 2012-2015. Obstet Gynecol 2018;132:1158–1166.
33. AV Jablensky, Morgan V, Zubrick SR, Gazebo C, Yellachich LA. Pregnancy, childbirth and neonatal complications in a cohort of women with schizophrenia and major affective disorders. Am J Psychiatry 2005;162:79–91.
34. Slomian J, Honvo G, Monts P, Register JY, Bruyere O. Consequences of maternal postpartum depression: a systematic review of maternal and child outcomes. Women’s Health (London) 2019;15:1745506519844044–1745506519844044.
35. Hermon N., Wainstock T, Sheiner E, Golan A, Walfisch A.. Impact of maternal depression on perinatal outcomes in hospitalized women – a prospective study. Arch Women’s Mental Health 2019;22:85–91.
36. Grossman D, Hendrick E, Fuentes L, et al. Knowledge, opinions, and experiences related to self-induced abortion in Texas. Contraception 2015;92:360–361.
37. Ralph L., DG Foster, Raifman S, et al. Prevalence of self-directed abortion among women of childbearing age in the United States. JAMA Netw Open 2020;3(12):e2029245–e2029245.
38. Eagen-Torkko M, Yanow S. The critical role of midwives in safe self-managed abortion. J Midwifery Women’s Health 2021;66:795–800.
39. Zhang J., Zhou K, Shan D, Luo X. Medical methods for first trimester abortion. Cochrane Database System Rev 2022;5:CD002855–CD002855.
40. Frederiksen B. The Sexual and Reproductive Health Landscape in the United States: Current Trends and the Impact of the Pandemic. common policy, April 21, 2021 (https://policycommons.net/artifacts/1596123/the-sexual-and-reproductive-health-landscape-in-the-us/2285892/).
41. Anderson EM, Cowan SK, Higgins JA, Schmuhl NB, Wautlet CK. Willing but unable: Physicians’ knowledge of referral as barriers to abortion care. SSM People’s Health 2021;17:101002–101002.
42. Stevenson A.J.. The impact on pregnancy-related mortality of a total ban on abortion in the United States: a research note on the increase in deaths due to remaining pregnant. Demography 2021;58:2019–2028.
43. Kortsmit K, Jatlaoui TC, Mandel MG, et al. Abortion Surveillance — United States, 2018. MMWR Surveill Summ 2020;69:1–29.
44. LB thinner, Frohwirth LF, Dauphinee LA, Singh S, Moore AM. Reasons Why American Women Have Abortions: Quantitative and Qualitative Perspectives. Perspect Sex Reprod Health 2005;37:110–118.
45. Child Protection Information Gateway. Child protection practice to address racial disproportion and disparity. Newsletters for professionals. April 2021 (https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubPDFs/racial_disproportionality.pdf).
46. Kaplan K, Brusilovskiy E, O’Shea AM, MS Salzer. Disparities in Child Protection Services and Serious Mental Illness: Findings from a National Survey. Psychiatric department 2019;70:202–208.