TITLE: Program officer
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Community Investment
STATUS: Regular, Full-time, Exempt
JOB DESCRIPTION: Program Officer engages directly with community residents, nonprofit staff members, other funders, and board members to assist in design and implementation strategic initiatives and Community Foundation grantmaking. This position helps advance racial, social, and economic equity by developing strategies that respond to the needs of the region, play a civic leadership role, and evaluate impact.
- Implement community engagement efforts
– Take the lead role in developing and maintaining relationships with community members, neighborhood leaders, and residents of Syracuse City and Central New York
-Maintain a strong community presence among residents through weekly presence at community events
– Conduct research to identify and implement best practices in community engagement
-Use data (including life-needs assessment) to identify community needs or challenges, collaborate with residents and nonprofit partners to investigate those needs, collaboratively develop appropriate responses, and assess their impact. This can include approaches such as participatory budgeting and human-centered design.
-Work with the Communications department as the primary point of contact for media interactions and communication needs related to community engagement.
- Manage the Leadership Class Program (TLC)
– Communicate with consultants in program planning and implementation
– Engage directly with participants, manage the grant process, and provide direction to the fellow/intern assigned to TLC
-Coordinate annual alumni event(s) and attend monthly weekend and/or evening class sessions
- Assist in the implementation of the Community Grants Program
-Review and analyze proposals through written materials, site visits, interviews with other funders and relevant agencies
-Prepare and present written and oral analyzes of grant applications to staff, Board of Directors, donors and/or Community Foundation committee members
- Work with community investment team members to strategize and implement community engagement activities, budgets and programs
- Represent the Community Foundation at various forums, events, summits and other public places
- Assist the Vice President in the formal supervision and direct supervision of Snow Fellows, interns and/or support staff, as assigned
- Support the work of the Black Equity & Excellence Fund and other work related to diversity equity and inclusion with residents
- Support and expand the work of the Life Needs Assessment to ensure it is used to meet the needs of residents.
- Other assigned duties
- History of engagement with community members and residents of Syracuse and Central New York area
- Deep interest and commitment to philanthropy and the work of the Community Foundation, with a demonstrated commitment to the Central New York area, its people and their concerns
- Knowledge of central New York and its opportunities and challenges
- Superior attention to detail and high level of organization
- Superior customer service skills for external and internal constituents
- Minimum of 5 years of related work experience, with a strong preference for direct service experience in the nonprofit, government, or social service sectors
- Computer proficiency, including knowledge of Microsoft Office and a willingness to learn all appropriate Community Foundation software
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, participate as an effective team member and follow through on tasks to completion
REQUIRED TIME : This is a full-time exempt position requiring 37.5 hours per week. Hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with some flexibility, but it is also expected that many community engagement activities will take place on evenings and weekends.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: The annual salary scale starts at $60,000. Benefits include health insurance, vacation and sick leave, twelve paid vacations, term life insurance, supplemental disability insurance, parking, 401(k) retirement savings program with employer contribution and matching, optional flexible spending accounts for dependent medical or care expenses and other benefits as outlined in the employee handbook.
HOW TO REGISTER: Please submit a letter of interest and resume to [email protected] Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.