April 19, 2022 2:56 p.m.
After two years of virtual events, the City of Santa Monica is once again welcoming families to Virginia Avenue Park on Saturday, April 30 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for the annual Arts and Literacy Festival.
This year’s theme is “Bugs, Bugs, Bugs,” and the event will host over thirty different community organizations featuring games and activities that align with the Santa Monica Cradle to Career Building Blocks for Kindergarten campaign. The campaign promotes social and emotional development, self-care and physical well-being, motor skills, language development and early learning. The goals of this campaign are to help parents, educators, child care providers and other community partners work together to ensure that all children in Santa Monica enter kindergarten ready to learn. , inside and outside the classroom.
Highlights of the activity include:
- Storytime Stage from the Santa Monica Public Library, featuring insect-themed books read by Santa Monica librarians.
- Santa Monica’s ‘It Bugs Me’ activity family service to help children identify what might be bothering them.
- rediscover the Center’s activity of making insect costumes using recycled materials.
- Santa Monica Public Library’s Bug House, where children can explore and identify a wide variety of insects.
- Art of Recovery artist Teresa Flores demonstrates how to make “Experimental Quesadillas” to build cross-cultural understanding using a wide variety of fresh Santa Claus vegetables
- Monica Farmer’s Market.
- Stilt walking by Rebecca “Firebug” Nelson.
- An Event Explorer Card, where children can receive stamps from participating booths and redeem them for a free book at the Santa Monica Public Library booth.
Schedule of performances on the main stage:
- Master of Ceremonies Sean Hill
- 10:00 a.m. Santa Monica Youth Orchestra Mariachi Ensemble
- 10:15 a.m. Kayamanan Ng Lahi, Filipino dance group presented by The Music Center On Tour
- 11:00 a.m. Prelude and Elemental Strings Ensembles by Elemental Music
- 11:15 a.m. Critter Squad: Insect Defender Party Live Bug Show
- 12:40 Jungle Drum Circle with Chazz Ross
- 1:15 p.m. Magic show with Allen Oshiro
For more information, visit santamonica.gov/places/parks/virginia-avenue-park.
For more information about the Santa Monica Cradle to Career Building Blocks to Kindergarten campaign, visit santamonicacradletocareer.org/kindergarten.
Public Information Coordinator
Arts, Culture & Entertainment, Programs, The Arts, Youth & Seniors